The staff encourages you to make good choices in taking supplements. You are responsible for any substance found in your body year-round, and subject to suspension for a positive test of a banned substance. There are MANY contaminated products on the market, even in common retail stores. The following are resources are to help you obtain safe NSF approved supplements. Please ask the staff or our team nutritionist if you have any questions about your supplement or nutritional needs.
Remember, you can’t out exercise a bad diet. The same goes for supplementation.
The Rangers’ Staff encourages a FOOD FIRST APPROACH. Supplements help in excess of a good normal diet. You should address your regular nutrition habits before considering any supplements!
Texas Rangers Sports Nutritionist
Amy Goodson, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
Team Sports Dietitian
Email Amy at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NSF Certified For Sport
The new NSF Certified for Sport™ program minimizes the risk that a dietary supplement or sports nutrition product contains a substance banned by one of the major sports organizations. NSF tests and certifies that these products contain the identity and quantity of dietary ingredients declared on the product label, but do not contain unacceptable quantities of unwanted contaminants for the recommended serving size listed on the product label.
- A product must carry a label that reads, “NSF Certified for Sport”. No other NSF claim is acceptable.
- An up-to-date NSF Certified for Sport product list is available at: Online Product Database or Searchable Product List
- More information about the MLB/MiLB testing procedures is available at: www.DrugFreeSport.com
Texas Rangers General Supplement Recommendations
- Pre-Workout (0-30 minutes)
- Fast Twitch: 1 scoop mixed in 16 oz of water
- EAS Phos Force: 1 scoop mixed in 8 oz of water
- During Workout
- Water and/or Sports drink (Powerade, Gatorade, CytoMax)
- If you need to gain weight, always Sports drink!
- If outside in heat & humidity, can add Gatorlytes
- Post-Workout (within 30 minutes)
- Ready-to-Drink (RTD) Shakes: EAS Myoplex, Muscle Milk, or for more calories Boost Plus or Ensure Plus
- Make your own smoothie: w/EAS whey protein powder, low-fat milk, and fruit
- To Gain Weight
- Drink Ready-to-Drink shake or high calorie homemade smoothie right before bed
- Wake up early in the morning and drink Ready-to-Drink shake, Boost Plus, or Ensure Plus and go back to sleep
- Drink Ready-to-Drink shake, Boost Plus, or Ensure Plus after and/or between meals for more calories
- Add calories to every meal and snack: w/ Peanut butter and whole milk dairy products