Because these drills require 180° changes of direction, they will challenge your ability to move side to side, and control your body while decelerating and re-accelerating under control. Stay low throughout all changes of direction.
5-10-5 Agility Drill
- Start by standing in a ready position just behind the middle cone (Cone A).
- Perform a crossover step with your left foot and sprint to Cone B.
- When you get to Cone B, touch it, perform a crossover step with your right foot and accelerate, to Cone C.
- When you get to Cone C, touch it, perform a crossover step with your left leg and sprint through Cone A.
- NEVER turn your back away from the cones when cutting.
- The following drills are options for the 5-10-5 drill. Execute one or a mix of the following movements, using the 5-10-5 pattern:
- Shuffle to the right from Cone A to Cone B; shuffle to the left to Cone C; shuffle right through Cone A. Do not cross your feet as you shuffle.
- Sprint forward from Cone A to Cone B; Backpedal to Cone C; and sprint forward through Cone A.
- Backpedal from Cone A to Cone B; sprint forward to Cone C; and backpedal through Cone A.
- Perform crossover steps with your left foot from Cone A to Cone B; perform crossover steps with your right foot to Cone C; perform crossover steps with your left foot through Cone A.
5-10-5 Multi-Direction Drills
- These drills are options for a multi-directional emphasis in the 5-10-5 drill
- Execute one or a mix of the following movements, using the 5-10-5 pattern:
- Side shuffle (Do not cross feet)
- Forward sprint 5 yds, Backward sprint 10 yds, and Forward sprint 5 yds
- Backward sprint 5 yds, Forward sprint 10 yds, and Backward sprint 5 yds
- Side to Side with a Crossover step (i.e. finish with the normal 5-10-5 drill above)
Nebraska Agility Drill
- Begin on a course with 2 lines, 5 yds apart.
- The circles below represent cones
- Sprint 5 yds to the 1st cone and round it
- Without stopping sprint 5 yds back to the 2nd cone and round it
- Then sprint 5 yds to the opposite line and touch it with your hand
- Finish by back pedaling 5 yds through the line to finish.